The Perfect Day

Hi folks

Irrespective of which company you use, and with which rig team you do it, please read the missive below and think about how it is on your rig ..

The Perfect Day. 

You get up around 5-ish and check the office.

The Night guy has the report ready and we are just 50´ from TD, the geologist has been on ACE (Advanced Collaboration Environment) from the onshore suite and confirmed via the Risk Cube and Earth Model exactly where we are, what new hazards there may be and what his recommended strategy is for casing point; including the highest it can be set if problems in this difficult section. This will be fully discussed at the ACE morning call.

The D/D has plotted the curve in the notice board and we are bang in line for the target, the Night Toolpusher has the contractor report ready for you and the DE has the time depth curve showing progress to date on your desk ,on the notice board and in the tea shack.

The mud engineer has his recommended pill train ready that his ”œpre-work table at the DWOP” recommended and is standing by to pump and sample on return.

The Geo log is printed out and a copy in the office and on the rig floor where the AD is correlating any noted tight spots during the previous week with the log.

The Co pilot guys have reviewed the week´s drilling and have recommendation ready for the next hole to be entered into the rp² LOG for discussion at the Pre-phase meeting.

The After Action Review of the drilling has been set, to catch the Driller AD and D/D that drilled most of it; and town are looking forward to an open discussion in the ACE once it has been submitted. 

The rp² onshore Performance Advisor is standing by, and organising the onshore team for this.

Going outside, the casing is ready to go and the Franks crew have checked and rigged up nearly everything they can,. What strikes you first is how neat and tidy the areas are, how the hoses have been routed and the new stabbing arm that the casing group at the DWOP recommended is in place and ready to go. You pass two roustabouts cleaning the deck, you stop and give some encouraging words, about how everyone is in this together and that standards they have set, has by example given Franks and the like no choice but do it right. Well done guys.

On the floor, the Iron rough neck and the tripping gear is all ready, with new dies and a full service on the auto slips and rough neck. The new auto elevators are not working but this is being investigated by the Tech limits guy has worked with these before and thinks we may have a problem with compatibility with the drilling bails the guys are using. When we get into the casing shoe the bails will be changed (needed for casing), and the Elevators tried again. You view the risk assessment to be used at the POOH toolbox talk and see it makes good reference to  the manual elevators. Good work guys you say.

The drill floor is of course clean and tidy with at least one guy cleaning at all times, he has a pride in the place you thought was impossible 6 months before - amazing. You stop for a word of praise at how much better it is to see the place spick and span, ”œwell done ma man keep it up”.

The driller is full of it this morning, pleased at TD but even more pleased that his opinions on the work on this well have been incorporated into the work instructions and really feels part of something. He was one of those guys at the DWOP that you felt might be a problem, but the very first time he saw his idea developed by the tech limit process ( using the top drive to set the seal assembly I think it was) he got onboard and has never looked back.

I am sure he will not really know or be able to put his finger on what has changed, as he now thinks it was only common sense; but you know not all common sense is really common, and there has been a tremendous amount of work  (and investment) done by your boss in town on the whole Enabling Environment thing. This seems to fit so naturally to a world-class working rig that it would be crazy to do anything else. Some Austrian Philosopher Schompenher (I seem to remember) said something about the 3 states of change - and right he was too.

At the ACE call there is little to talk about (as the pre phase for the casing had been the day before, the LOGs and reports) apart from reminders of previous problems and some things the tech limit guy was tasked with at the Prephase. He confirms that he will get the minimum LOT for next section, that the Inteq guys have everything ready to ship, waiting only for the casing to clear the deck, has confirmed that the Casing guy has got the training for the rough-cutting of the casing and the final cement test meant no change to the mix.

The DS praises the team on efforts to date and reminds everyone that the most important job we are doings is the one that we are on now , lets stay focused, asks everyone just to read one more time the lessons learned , and if we have missed anything, lets sit down and discuss with the team.

Other than that and you won´t need it but I wish you anyway ”œgood luck” and with that he goes round the meeting to ensure no one is missed out.

On the rig the pipe is pulled, and the casing run without event, the Tech limit guys confirms the next day the job was the best to date but still contained 2 hrs invisible lost time, when a leak was discovered during the make up of the cement head - item in LOG and xo will be tq´d up before the head goes on in the future.....................

Now this is only a wee snap shot of what can happen if you create the right conditions, I worked offshore for nearly 28 years before I literally bumped into the rp² vision on bp Magnus, and during the last five years have seen that vision help turn rigs into having prefect days.  So much so, that I decided to join the company 18 months ago.

Its not pie in the sky, I have seen it from all angles now, Senior Pusher, Rig Manager, Performance consultant based in the office and company man on the rig. The best recommendation I can give is that it works.

Bob Anderson.  

Ensco 108, Papua, Indonesia

17th March 2009

1 Answer(s)

Support Spread

We need the support of our members to keep our forum online. If you find the information on spread useful please consider a donation

donate