Private Forums
Spring Jar for fishing
26 April 2016
We have a 2.5" OD toolstring stuck in 4-1/2" tubing. Two types of 2.5" spring jar from two different manufacturers have been used but the result is quite uncertainty:
Deviation: 46deg max, 34deg at fish.
Stuck depth 3500m.
Cable: 0.16" GD22.
Fluid inside the wellbore: mainly gas so hydraulic jar could not be used.
I am working in office, then actual operation is not very sure.

1. BHA01: RS+SJ+KJ+3ft stem + Spring Jar type 01 (setting 800lbs by manual gauge) + Spang Jar + HDPT: pick-up lower jar at 1,300lbs but could not fire the jar at 2,600lbs surface tension.
2. BHA01, reduce Spring Jar to 760lbs - minimum setting - could not fire. High friction could make it could not be fired.

3. BHA02: RS+SJ+KJ+3ft stem + Spring Jar type 02 (setting 580lbs by manual gauge) + Spang Jar + HDPT: lower jar open at 1600lbs cannot activate Spring Jar.
4. BHA02: Reduce setting to 480lbs, jar activated at 1900-2000lbs, but very poor performance while flowing the well (upper zone above the fish).
5. BHA02: Increase setting to 560lbs, jar activated at 2,300-2,400lbs at the beginning then increase to max 2,600lbs then stop working due to too high tension.

6. BHA03: Keep setting to 560lbs, but add 02ft stem, jar activated at 2,400lbs but seems to be poorer performance.

My questions:
1. The spring jar reliability is not so high and difficult to adjust the value? Could you please advise how to set spring jar correctly?
2. Can we use 2ft stem instead of 3ft? Should we add accelerator in the toolstring?
3. We plan to use 7/32" braided fishing cable or 15/32" three conductor braised cable for fishing, which one should we use? some of the clue:
3.1. Estimated weak point at cable head is 2,500 and 5,200lbs by simulation.
3.2. Max jar setting is 4,000lbs, but, not much change from 2,000lbs.
3.3. Hard to jar down to shear by using 15/32" cable.
3.4. WHP is more than 2,000psi, control pressure will be a big concern with 15/32" cable.
4. Should we use Stroker?
4.1. According to manufacturer, Spring jar could create 100,000lbs at 4,000lbs setting.
4.2 Stroker could create only around 60,000lbs static.  

Thanks so much for your help.

8 answer(s)
Trung-PE
Chief Petroleum Engineer
Japan Vietnam Petroleum Company
Total Posts: 7

Hi all,

I am sorry for late coming back on this issue since we were busy; including fishing another fish successfully and temporarily suspended the job for better preparation. I would like to update some information on this particular fish only and what I have been observed:

Mr. Ifor,

1.      We used to run 15/32” braided line in 2000psi wellhead pressure gas and huge amount of grease has been used to make it seal and messy oil on the deck. Combination of (i) bigger strand / bigger space among the strands (ii) new cable, (iii) quality of cable, (iv) tolerance of flowtube ID vs Cable OD, (v) new cable seasoning before using.

2.      It is very good idea for detail drawings / diagram of LIH toolstring and completion item / spacing for better understanding of stuck mechanism.

Mr. Andy,

1.      Yes, jarring up is the only choice to recovered the fish, we have min ID 3.26” in the LBFV just below.

2.      We check the tension simulation of 7/32” and 15/32”  and jar setting impact, the different is around 20.000lbs but it is in the top range of spring jar effect then I believe that actually might not as high then 7/32” should be selected.

3.      I am noted of Petroline Spring jar and I got the same advice from other friends.

4.      Regarding the oil jar: since it is not the seal loop system, if working in gas then gas will migrate into the chamber of the oil jar then it will not work anymore, even it works like shock absorber then you could not have good jar down impact to release pulling tool if required.

5.      We could cut the tailpipe to drop fish to rat hole by mechanical tubing cuter from Sondex/GE, Baker or Welltec since the pressure is balanced after tubing puncher.

6.      Mr. Giang is fine since we do not have much thing to do at the moment, I will send your message to him.

I have some comments on the job for your review:

1.      Bigger tool, higher setting force - is it good design for spring jar?

a.      As I mentioned before, 2.5” OD string jar working very poor and unstable at setting of 600-800lbs, maybe in the lowest range, however we feel strong effect of 1-7/8” spring jar. But thanks to 0.16” cable with 2,600lbs pulling weight, not 0.125” cable.

b.      Standard cable for fishing is 0.125”. Max allowable pulling weight of 0.125” cable is 1,800lbs - why 2.5” spring jar have fix setting range from 500-4000lbs, more or less? It is really hard to have overpull against the spring jar at 3000m with, let´s say, 1000lbs to fire a jar?

c.      Should the manufacturer provide some sets of accessory to work at certain force setting range that match with well condition in order to get the best impact? I requested the service provider to discuss with manufacturer but not yet have their feedback.

2.      We observed that 3ft stem above spring jar get better impact than 5ft stem of 2.5” OD string. We not yet have chance to check with 2ft stem or with accelerator. That is also recommended in the Schlumberger slickline manual. However, some test on the surface for one of the spring jar say longer stem is better which should be true since no cable and no friction as downhole.

3.      We are struggling with toolstring OD: with 4-1/2” tubing, 12.6#, should we use 2.5” OD toolstring or less? With total weight of around 100kg, pick-up eight of 2.5” is around 200lbs higher than 1-7/8” making me cannot understand why, but simulation says almost the same. Can you give me some advice on the toolstring length?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Trung

AndyPua
Drilling Consultant
PT Drilling Services
Total Posts: 60
Mr Trung, 
Thank you. The more info you give, the more idea we have in regards to what could have happen. 
1) Shifting tool is tapered at the bottom and spring loaded with the 90 deg shoulder at the top (almost like a spear). 
2) The scenario is, when it got blown up and dropped down, the jerking caused the slickline to break at the rope socket. Thus it rocketed down and jammed tightly at the LBFV which had smaller ID. 
This leave us with not much choice but to jar up, you are right. Thus we need the most powerful tool that we can get. 
3) Since there is doubt about the 15/32" line, just try to use the 7/32" line first and see how it goes. 
4) The spring jar that I used before with good success rate was provided by Petroline, now it is bought over by Weatherford I think. There was once it failed, but due to poor maintenance of the tool.
5) Forgive my ignorance, but I am still wandering why the oil jar cannot be used in gas well. 
6) Cutting tubing will be a messy job which will require to kill the gas well with a very small flow path (shifting tool jammed at the LBFV). Success rate is low and probably takes time. Then it will required a workover rig or HWU to pull and run the tubing. 
How is Mr Giang doing ?  

IforJones
Completions Engineer
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 4
Hi Mr Trung,
Thanks for the extra information which has clarified a few things. Based on this I had a couple of extra comments which might help.
1. I don't think the 2kpsi wellhead pressure is too excessive for braided line operations even with gas. However you will need to ensure that you have good tolerances on your PCE injection head, and cable is properly packed, etc... A good wireline fishing company should know how to do this.
2. Accelerators are often used shallow, but are also effective deep in the well if the tool string is correctly configured. Again a good wireline fishing company should be able to advise you on the best set up for your well.
3. As far as where you could get stuck while fishing, have you overlaid a diagram of the LIH tool string & the fishing tool string on a diagram of you completion components. To do this properly you need to get engineering drawings of all the tools and the completion components and correctly space them out. You should then be able to see where things interfere both at present and when fishing. This should help you decide on the best course of action.
4. The 90 deg shoulder on the top of the shifting tool (which I assume you are referring to) would have run through your completion if you hand't got stuck, assuming your tool string was correctly configured. In which case jarring it free shouldn't cause more of an issue, unless it now interfaces with an upset in the completion as you didn't intend to go this deep.

No problem with the advise, that's what Spread's for, hope it helps.
Ifor
Trung-PE
Chief Petroleum Engineer
Hi Mr. Andy,
1. Whole BO shifting tool BHA (6m) LIH due to blow-out while opening SSD by jarring up, cable parted then drop into the min ID - LBFV. We could latch the cable head fishing neck easily.
2. BO shifting tool are standard for 4-1/2" tubing with 3.813" sealbore SSD, 3.67" min OD is fully collapsed condition.
3. The jewelry is the 3.63" and 3.52" ID of LBFV - suspected the stuck point.

Hi Mr. Ifor,
1. We have one software, let's us re-check the friction setting for tunning.
2. We don't have pump for continuous filling, just pour around 0.5bbl of RadiaGreen EME then not much help. We need a pump for this purpose, especially for braided line fishing.
3. Thanks about roller stem, we will try.
4. I think that 15/32 conductor should not be used due to high wellhead pressure.
5. According to EDS, min OD of BO shifting tool is 3.67" and can pass 3.68" ID - a bit larger than 3.63" ID of 7" LBFV.
6. Tool get stuck due to blow out, cable parted and free fall to depth. Jar down will not help as I understand.
7. I heard that accelerator will not help if the depth is greater than 800m - is that correct? and the stroke of accelerator should be longer than Spring Jar stroke.
8. I am also afraid of 90deg shoulder up the BO shifting tool could cause serious stuck by jarring up or Stroker. We might cut tubing as the last report.

Thanks you all for your advise.
Regards,
Trung

AndyPua
Drilling Consultant
PT Drilling Services
Mr Trung,
Most of the wells I drilled there have very simple build or build and hold profile. Well profile (from survey) in open hole is different from tubing profile. Generally tubing profile should be more gentle than well profile. 
If it is Jar up Shifting tool, then it has the square shoulder looking up and taper at the bottom.
It is spring loaded and normally run in closed / collapsed position, when get to the Sliding Side Door (SSD), then activate to open up the tool. After shift open the SSD, the shifting tool pin will shear and it collapse to smaller ID to be able to pass through all the X profiles above.
Tool must have accidentally open up and hung up at one of the profile. Is there a jewelry near 3500m ? 
As Ifor suggested, pumping in some friction reducer while fishing might help to reduce tubing friction since tubing is "dry".
And attempt to jar down and move the tool down first might be the option. If there is a SSD below, option is to move the tool to that SSD in order to shear the pin and collapse the tool (but could be stuck deeper).
If all the options failed, then the tool must be stuck open, and only "bull force" is the only solution to tear the tool out. Then resolve to 7/32" cable, if WHP is not a concern. 
I can't recall the name of manufacturer who supply the good Spring Jar previously, it was not a common name. 

IforJones
Completions Engineer
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 4
Hi Trung,

Without well schematics and deviation surveys it's a bit difficult to answer your questions but here are a few thoughts which might help you.
1. Have you run Cerberus modelling (or equivalent) on the well to determine expected POOH & RIH weights for the tools thing? It may be that the tension you are expecting is not getting down to the jar due to friction. Calibrating a Cerberus model with actual RIH & POOH weights should help you understand better what is happening down hole. I'm assuming that your slick line provider knows how to correctly set up the spring jars and test them at surface to make sure they fire at the correct o/pull.
2. If high friction is a problem it may be possible to lubricate in some form of friction reducer into the wellbore.
3. Roller bogies may also help you get the tool string moving more easily.
4. If you go with braided line I would not run anything with conductors in it as it is not as easy to work with and often gets damaged during heavy jarring.
5. I'm assuming that the OD of the shifting tool is for the keys open and not the minimum compressed OD as it appears to be larger than the LBFV ID?
6. Did the tool get stuck running in or pulling out of hole through the restriction? It is important to try and understand the mechanism that caused the tool to get stuck. Dependent on this is whether you try and jar it out or try and get the tool string moving downwards first. Also if it is debris behind the keys on the shifting tool then getting it moving and being able to flow the well past the tool may help dislodge the debris. 
7. If you are going for heavy duty fishing tools (braided line) then I would probably run an accelerator with additional stem to help with the impact. Also may help you shear off easier if you add in roller stem. Also initially pin the pulling tool light. Always safer to shear off early than not being able to get off fish. However be sure you need to go to this as there is a real risk that you will start to pull things apart, or equipment such as pulling tools will start to fail which will just leave more debris in the hole to fish. And debris down the side of an existing tool string could be game over.
8. As for using a stroker tool be sure you understand the mechanism that has caused the tool string to get stuck as you could possibly swage the fish tighter into the restriction as a Stroker can provide a lot of consistent force.
Good luck with the fishing
Ifor
Trung-PE
Chief Petroleum Engineer
Hi Mr. Andy,
Nice to here from you.
It is sensitive to give the manufacturer of the spring jar at the beginning here but we will work with them for troubleshooting. As I mentioned above, two types of jar (hydraulic set and gauge turning) from two manufacturers and both are not good as I expected.
Thanks for your reminder about Knuckle Joint (KJ) and it is placed just below Swivel Joint (SJ), not below the jar.
The stuck is 3.76" min OD BO shifting tool (jar up) in the 3.63" ID of 7" LBFV - we are afraid of very tight point. Another min ID is 3.52" just below 3.63" ID.
Best regards,
Trung
AndyPua
Drilling Consultant
PT Drilling Services
Mr Trung, 
Could you provide us with the manufacturer of the Spring Jar ? 
I had used the spring jar for retrieving Safety Valve or shallow fish with great success before, but more than 20 years ago. 
If I am not mistaken, there seems to have a Knuckle Joint below the jar, what is the reason for running that below the jar ? Jarring could cause failure of the knuckle joint and it can be parted. 
Spring Jar normally came with a tool/gauge to set the firing force on surface. You insert the tool into the jar and there is a readout on the gauge to tell you how many pound the tool is set at. Then you increase or decrease the number according to you plan by turning clockwise or anti-clockwise. 
I don't see any problem in running oil jar, because the oil is inside the jar itself. 
From your description, it seems that you did fire the jar a couple of time successfully. However the fish just unable to be free, or it has been "cock" at an angle in certain internal profile of the tubing. One of the option is to run a GS pulling tool, latch onto the fish, jar down many times, then pull out. This will sometimes "uncock" the fish. Then run an RS pulling tool and try to fish it again. 
Good luck. 

Jump to top of the page