Elevators as slips

When pulling tubing lately, we found some joints slipping through our slips. We had a number of backup options which we discussed and some of these options were using side-door elevators and also, possibly, YC slip-type elevators on the rotary table instead of slips.

We did not have to do this in this case, finding other solutions before getting to that point.

I have seen this done previously when running and pulling completions, occasionally landing a hanger or tubing joints on elevators in the table. However, what I'd like to know is whether elevators are suitable for this task ? Are they certified for a load through their body (in compression ?) as opposed to a load hanging from the lugs either side (tension ?) ? I'd say the load is transferred differently through the elevator in each case, but are they still certified to bear that load in this situation ?

I'm sure others have done this many times over the years - does anyone have any definitive information on this ? If elevators can be used in this manner - which types are suitable and which are not ?

2 Answer(s)

Support Spread

We need the support of our members to keep our forum online. If you find the information on spread useful please consider a donation

donate