Gumbo Blinding Shaker Screens (Drilling w/ Invert Emulsion Fluid)

Posted on behalf of a member who would prefer to remain anonymous:

"Hello,

We are currently drilling the 12.25" intermediate section of a well with diesel-based, invert emulsion drilling fluid.

Beginning at approximately 800' TVD, the shaker screens started to continuously blinding off due to 'gumbo' type cuttings agglomerating to the screen surface (API Mesh 40).

We have not experienced any bit balling issues (confirmed by trip), and I was wondering if anyone had experience dealing with this issue while drilling with an invert emulsion fluid  If so, what solution did you find to alleviate this problem ?

The drilling fluid specs are as follows:  
8.6 lb/gal / PV = 14 / YP = 7 / OW Ratio = 78:22 / Water-Phase Salinity = 316,000 PPM / LGS(%) = 1.8% / Excess Lime = 2.8 lb/bbl.  

We have been adding 2 drums of wetting agent to the active system each tour, with no positive effects. My thoughts are to try to coat the shaker screens with wetting agent prior to drilling through this problem zone, but I would greatly appreciate any advice / experience anyone has to offer with this issue. 

Thank you !"

Documents uploaded by user:

Shaker Screen Pic.jpeg

8 Answer(s)

Support Spread

We need the support of our members to keep our forum online. If you find the information on spread useful please consider a donation

donate