Private Forums
Well Schematic for Shale Gas Project
09 October 2017
Gentelmen, I need your help and advise on Well Schematic.
We are planning to drill a Shale Gas paliot Well.
The Production departement want to produce the well through the 5in casing for Field A and 5-1/2in for other field.

Is there any one how can help our advise me on the the best well schematic. 4 or 5 sections

Also, I need the componment of the well head.
Bits available on my compagny : 26in, 16in;12-1/4in, 8-1/2in ,6-1/8in and we can provide others.
Casing available : 18-5/8in, 13-3/8in; 9-5/8in, 7in, 5-1/2, and 5in

Thanks

8 answer(s)
Regis STUDER
General Manager
DrillScan
Total Posts: 4
Dear M.ZIANI

I can share with you on this topic, here is my mail contact: regis.studer@drillscan.com
I will be in Alger tomorrow and Wednesday, if you want to meet I may manage accomodating a meeting if should you give me your available slots.
Regards
Régis STUDER
Augusto
Consultant [retired Shell staff]
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 231
Suggested casing scheme to accommodate your stock

18 5/8" x 13 3/8" x 9 5/8" x (7" liner); Tubing 5.5" x 5" (inside liner)

With regards to the wellhead, we need to know the Blowout Preventers at your disposal, bearing in mind that the wellhead is a crossover casings x BOP.

My preference is for a unitized wellhead to ensure continuous Blowout Prevention.
snas
Independent Consultant
Olango Consulting
Total Posts: 5
Regis already included that in his reply

Conductor  hole size 26'' casing 18 5/8''
Surface string: hole size 16" casing 13-3/8''
Intermediate string: hole size 12-1/4'' casing 9-5/8''
Production string hole size 8-1/2''  casing 7"
Reservoir section hole size 6-1/8'' with 5" liner or casing.

That gives you a 5 string well design, you wellhead is 16" starter head landed on top of the conductor with the 13-3/8" casing, 9-5/8" spool and a 7" spool and a Tubing hanger.

Casing setting depths will be dependent on pore-fracture pressures and geology considerations. Depending on the weight of the liner you can clean out the 5" liner with a 4" or 3-7/8" bit , with 2-7/8" or 3-1/2" drillpipe.

ZIANI
Drilling Engineer
Sonatrach Petroleum Corporation
Total Posts: 27
Very thanks STUDER,

Outside what I've as equipments. is there an other well schematic which can optimise drilling. Keep in your minde 4 or 5 Hole sections.

Concerning Bit, what is the best bit to drill Shale Gas Formation. I've as experience Spear PDC Bitµ. Is there others.
Thanks

Regis STUDER
General Manager
DrillScan
Total Posts: 4
Bonjour M. ZIANI

Here is a typical, standard, well architecture from bottom up, based on your pipe inventory:

Réservoir Section : drilled 6 1/8'' - Cased Hole 5''
Pseudo production String: drilled 8 1/2'' - Cased 7''
Intermediate string: drilled 12 1/4'' - Cased 9 5/8''
Surface string: drilled 16in - Cased 13 3/8''
CP: drilled 26'' - Cased 18 5/8''
Note that in that case you don't have a contingency hole size left.

Depending on your case context geology (shallow aquifers' protection - pore pressure - frac pressure - TVD) you may just need the following:

Réservoir Section & prod.casing: drilled 6 1/8'' - Cased Hole 5''
Intermediate String: drilled 8 1/2'' - Cased 7''
Surface: drilled 12 1/4'' - Cased 9 5/8''
CP: drilled 16in - Cased 13 3/8''

If you elect for a contingency hole size, your well architecture could look like:

Reservoir and production String: drilled 8 1/2'' - Cased 7''
Intermediate string: drilled 12 1/4'' - Cased 9 5/8''
Surface string: drilled 16in - Cased 13 3/8''
CP: drilled 26'' - Cased 18 5/8''

Regards
Régis STUDER - DrillScan
learning.lifewayne@g
D&C Project Coordinator / Decommissioning
Society of Petroleum Engineers
Total Posts: 8
There is a great opportunity to learn the benefits of using a reliability centred ideology for complex well systems.  Why not begin by working a strategy to produce the field by staying above the gas dew point.  Do your vertical section to TD with 8 1/2" hole.  Upon assessing the formation / reservoir character, do 3 ea 120 deg radially spaced multi laterals that penetrate reservoir with a heel and 30 m of horizontal.  Complete the well with a 2 7/8" or 3 1/2" vertical with appropriate sliding sleeves to circulate / inject / produe inside a 5 1/2" to 7" tubing to the multilateral with SET technology with 4.1/2" tubing in 7" casing. Something like that and share 50% of the extra production with the condition monitoring / decommissioning team to be sustainable.
ZIANI
Drilling Engineer
Sonatrach Petroleum Corporation
Total Posts: 27
I think that's my question isn't clear....
My last casing will be 5in or 5-1/2in ... I'm asking about the selection of bits to drill open hole for 5-1/2in and 5in and what will be the other section (Above) ... I mean prévious section with their casings and bits.

For exemple we can't drill with 6-3/4in bit and the last casing is 7in.
You understand what I mean.

What I want is a Typical Well Schematic with 5-1/2in casing or 5in csing as a production casing and in the same time the last casin'

Thanks
p-j.palten
Drilling Supt
Nostrum Oil & Gas
Total Posts: 45
Best is you talk to your completion engineer - he should know what Reservoir pressure, how much temperature, how much CO2, how much H2s you get and how long your Production string needs to work integer. For the casing shoes you need to check Offset wells for losses, cavings, .. After having the Base of design you maybe have to order the proper wellhead with long lead time. Regards Peter-Joern Palten
Jump to top of the page