Private Forums
Drilling Sub Load Rating Calculation
28 May 2018
Looking for Load Rating calculations for drilling sub that takes in account the connections, material strength, OD, ID, etc. Also in case of a x-over how would the calculation differ.

If any one has the calculation then appreciate if you can share it or better if there is an excel calculator.

Best regards.

4 answer(s)
Augusto
Consultant [retired Shell staff]
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 240
This is the reason I do recommend to buy drilling subs - even pipe rejects - from the the OCTG mill... Then we get exactly the raw material we are now looking for.
oyediranoloye
Drilling Engineer
Enquest
Total Posts: 1

I had to check the tensile strength of a non drilling crossover to be utilized for fishing run.

Tensile calcs for the XT39 x NC38 XOVER

• Tensile strength on page 7 of the material certs = 148 ksi or 148,000lbs/in2

• Area = (OD4.875^2 – ID2.71^2) x 0.7854 = 12.89in2

• Tensile strength in lbs = 148,000lbs/in2 x 12.89in2 = 1,907,720lbs

simonleiper
Area Manager WP
TETRA Technologies, Inc
Total Posts: 7
Hi,
Grant Prideco / NOV used to have an online calculator, however they removed it to free subscription access only.  If it is still available it is probably what you are looking for.  Suggest you contact your local NOV / Grant Prideco sales rep and he can give you access.
I have used it for calculation the correct make-up torque for tools / pipe etc.  It includes all API, GP and some other connections.
Good luck
Simon
simonleiper
Area Manager WP
TETRA Technologies, Inc
Total Posts: 7
Hi,
Grant Prideco / NOV used to have an online calculator, however they removed it to free subscription access only.  If it is still available it is probably what you are looking for.  Suggest you contact your local NOV / Grant Prideco sales rep and he can give you access.
I have used it for calculation the correct make-up torque for tools / pipe etc.  It includes all API, GP and some other connections.
Good luck
Simon
Jump to top of the page