Private Forums
Aluminium Sacrificial Tubing for Plug Cementing
01 June 2018
I am looking to support a customer and incresing success rate of cement plugs in challenging conditions and losses with the use of sacrificial tubing.

Does anybody have reference of supplier of Aluminium Tubing for this application and if, possible range of use, i.e., burst, collapse axial tensile strength ?

Thanks for your help as support

Best Regards
8 answer(s)
Augusto
Consultant [retired Shell staff]
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 244
CORRECTION:
I said Plastic when I should have said FiberGlass Reinforced plastic pipe
dlenin
Website owner
better-cementing-for-all.org
Total Posts: 12
Thanks for all the replies and information

Best Regards
L. Diaz
Augusto
Consultant [retired Shell staff]
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 244
Have you considered plastic?
In the past it was often the the first choice.
Hstapl
Consultant ( sort of retired but keeping in touch )
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 34
Lenin

The best supplier would be out of Russia. They manufacture integral aluminium tubing.
  • Tube OD is 74, 103 and 114 mm
  • 74x8 30ft long weigh 45 kg in air
  • Tensile load476 kN
  • Internal pressure 50 MPa
  • 18 or 90° taper shoulder.
They show a Russian GOST thread but I'm sure a API 8rd could be cut, if not done so now.

My info is some years old. I dont have a current contact but an ex colleague Mikhail Gelfgat can put you in touch with manufacturer. Miikhail is semi retired but still keeps in touch with them as we only spoke a couple of months ago.

regards Howard

_____
Note from moderator: Howard provided an email address for Mikhail but we have deleted it (privacy laws and SPREAD policy), but I have but Lenin in contact with Howard's buddy.

Howard, thanks for your input and effort, very much appreciated.  

Dave Taylor

PaulHowlett
CEO
Sudelac
Total Posts: 90
Lenin,

I am aware of the same types of requests coming out of Saudi and Oman, possibly Qatar as well.

At Sudelac, we  actually supply a hydraulic disconnect tool run on the bottom of the drill pipe and above the disposable stinger for jobs like these and we are in contact with some people in Saudi and Oman on this already.

They are actually looking at using Fibre-Glass (GRE) tubing for some of the applications below 100°C, but above 100°C GRE is not suited, so they have been asking for Aluminium tubing.

I have been involved with these disposable stinger jobs for some years and have yet to find suitable Aluminium tubing that can be used. There is Aluminium Drill Pipe but even it has Steel connection on it. 

If your applications are below 100°C then it will be easier to use GRE tubing, see attached specification sheet of the GRE we supply. 

If your jobs really need Aluminium tubing , hen come back to me because I found a way to have it manufactured in the UK as pup joints, its not as cheap as GRE, but it can be done if it's essential.

Please visit our website if you need any help.
dlenin
Website owner
better-cementing-for-all.org
Total Posts: 12
Hi Howard

Thanks for your reply

The tubing is needed in Saudi Arabia and probably Qatar; the sizes are 2 7/8", 3 1/2" or 3 3/8".

I am also interested in knowing, What type of connection they have?

Once again thank you

Best Regards
L. Diaz

Hstapl
Consultant ( sort of retired but keeping in touch )
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 34
Lenin hi,

With current sanctions where will you need this tubing, Country ?

I can then probably advise supplier.

Also what is your expected OD of tubing you would like to use. I should have tech details in my old records and can advise.

regards

Howard
Jump to top of the page