Private Forums
Uni thesis questionnaire for WELL CONTROL process
13 July 2018

Attn DRILLING guys, I have a survey that will take less than one minute to complete and anonymous.

I would like to create 'swimlane' role specific work flow process with Driller/Asst Driller/Toolpusher/Drill Supv and I would appreciate the feedback from industry.

Please click here;

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/7DCCA/

6 answer(s)
snas
Well Engineering Consultant and Instructor
Olango Consulting
Total Posts: 14

Scott

Good to hear that there is work being done on automation if influx detection. Once that has been proven the next step of circulating out the influx could, I believe, be relatively easily achieved. Both  proven multiphase well control software and automated choke control systems are readily available and are already in use with managed pressure drilling operations. As for the discussion regarding the legal implications of assigning culpability and blame, the deepwater horizon case has certainly raised the issue but not sure if there ever was a clear outcome.

Be good to see some testing done on the system and maybe move to a fully automated well control system.

spetrie
Senior Associate
Aberdeen Drilling Management Ltd
Total Posts: 2
Hi Garry, 

I have completed the survey and looked at the 'swimlane' responsibilities table and while I like the way you are thinking with respect to clearer assignment of roles and responsibilities in Well Control situations I think it has to be clear that the Driller is in charge, responsible and is trained to deal with the situation. 

Although as mentioned in response #3 there are more people involved in responding to the well control event, the decision making process and responsibilities for this need to lie in the hands of as few people as possible. 

I have been working on some well kick detection systems and algorithms specific to automated kick detection. We are getting closer to automated well control response systems, but the debate continues as to when the responsibility for handling the kick can be taken away from a person. much of the debate relates to the legal implications of assigning culpability and blame in the oil and gas industry this has not been tested, however in the aviation industry this is commonplace, with automated systems looking after more than the number of souls on a drilling rig. 

Kindest regards

Scott
garrym79
Night Drilling Supv
Students
Total Posts: 6
Hi Steve,

I agree with all you say regarding resuming normal operations and all the team involved.

This is more a study on the very early stage detection, from reviewing well control blowout data human error plays a big part. My project aims to 'assist' the first responder typically Driller/Asst Driller/Toolpusher (in doghouse watching pits and beside BOP panel) in making correct decision.

Regards,
Garry.
snas
Well Engineering Consultant and Instructor
Olango Consulting
Total Posts: 14
Gary

Be aware that a whole host of people are involved in the well control process, this is not simply a case of drillers, assistant drillers, toolpushers and company reps deciding what to do and then going ahead. On the rig mud engineer, mud loggers, geologist and drilling engineers are getting involved, whilst onshore both the operating company and the drilling contractor have numerous people onshore that are getting involved.

If it is a simple case of bit on bottom and a small influx it maybe simple but even then numerous phone calls are made back to the office. Certainly offshore most well control issues now are much more complex, with directional wells, synthetic based fluids,  narrow windows, MPD, floating rigs and a host of tools in the drillstring. It now rarely is a textbook 10 bbl 0.2 ppg influx.
garrym79
Night Drilling Supv
Students
Total Posts: 6
Hi Doug,

thank you for taking your time to answer the survey.

I have not prepared the swimlane process diagrams yet as I require software and a bit more thought and I will do that later.

Attached is a rough idea of this swimlane style.

Regards,
Garry.
Documents uploaded by user:
FinalSwimlane.jpg
DougP
Retired
Marathon Oil
Total Posts: 18
Hi Garry, I have completed the smartsurvey but was not clear on the swimlane procedure / diagram, I did not see an example in the discussion email (as referenced in Q3 on the survey).
Jump to top of the page