Private Forums
TT55 Thread
19 October 2018
Has anyone experienced any issues/problems with TT55  drillpipe threads  when they are turned  left during fishing operations..
4 answer(s)
Hstapl
Consultant ( sort of retired but keeping in touch )
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 34
When GP introduced the TT design a competitive OEM did an analysis and showed breakout torque was about 60% of MU. If I remember right for a single start thread it is usually about 80%.
I do not think GP ever listed this issue in their brochures but was a fact many companies took into account and did not buy the TT DP or use it.
regards Howard
springbokdrilling
Senior Drilling Engineer
Springbok Drilling Ltd
Total Posts: 6
Hi James, no there was no investigation done as this was a repeated experience that had been observed on this rig with the previous operator contract on a number of instances.  Was not a localised connection - it was the entire string and was known about by the drillers on the rig. 

All the best
Angus. 
JDDrouin
Project Quality
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 98
Angus,

Do you know if any failure analysis was done on the low b/o torque, can you share if it was?

James
springbokdrilling
Senior Drilling Engineer
Springbok Drilling Ltd
Total Posts: 6
Hi, have used TurboTorque drill pipe for drilling operations but not for fishing. However we found that the TT connection backed out at about 40-50% of the make
up torque. During one trip OOH after typical HPHT drilling operations, one connection was observed backed out with nearly 1” between the shoulders.  On the next trip in hole we had to break / make every connection.  As mentioned above, we found on every trip that the stands were breaking out at about 40-50% of the applied
make up torque.  Regards fishing and LH rotation with a TT connection, I would absolutely not consider it!!!! 
Posted by

Shane Harper

Performance Coach

Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection Ltd.

Total Posts: 1
Jump to top of the page