Private Forums
Electronic/Magnetic Tagging of Tubulars
08 July 2009
Dear All Out There, We at BHPBilliton Australia are trying to reduce manual handling of casing and tubulars on rigs. One of the ideas we want to implement is electronic/magnetic tagging of tubulars. Would be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about this.

Doug Hodson
BHP Billiton
Perth
4 answer(s)
DPARK
Drilling & Completions Team Leader
Helix-RDS
Total Posts: 1
Hi Doug,

This was something BP were investigating when I was at Sunbury (~1990). We did some field trials. The problem was finding a sufficiently robust method (glue) to keep the bar coded tags on for the life of a joint, and the idea was dropped.
Don't know what's happened since.

Dorothy Park
Helix-ESG
RobinDavies
Drilling Supervisor & Fluids Advisor
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 7
Dear Doug:

I posted a Q&A on your topic elsewhere and one answer so far is:

Merrick systems has a RFID system. Not sure how widely it has been deployed but I am aware that it has been tested.
I would love to see a robust RFID tag system, I don't think much information needs to be stored on the tag other than unique ID, the inspection/usage history etc would be kept on the computer database.
It is my understanding that the range issue is one area that is holding up widespread implementation, the devices are still fairly short ranged which makes the design and location of the scanner not a trivial task.

Good Luck,
RAD.
RobinDavies
SPREADAssociates
Dear Doug:

Although there are quite a few patents filed the responses I received back are not too encouraging overall:

- Good if managed properly.
- High cost for installation of tags as holes - slots need to be drilled / cut
- Possibility of lost tags down hole
- High set up cost to run
- Input to computer accounting system allows errors
- Labour intensive - high turnover for policing system with regular checks

One colleague was actually alongside a system handled by two men about 5 years ago for casing and tubing but after 6 - 8 months it was dropped because of the time consuming labour involved with the labeling and data entry of all of the properties for each individual joint. Additionally ”œ....info was entered wrongly or there were glitches in the system where the same number was issued to different joints of pipe, or sometimes a number would be dropped entirely (causing a missing joint)....”

Also I was told Grant Prideco (now NOV) have had ”œa pipe monitor system in the draw works for the last 8 years - Tele pipe” (?) However I saw that during the 3rd Qtr 2008 the Company was introducing new drill pipe tracking products.
http://biz.yahoo.com/e/081104/nov10-q.html

In parallel I see RFID technology seems to be used extensively for sub-sea pipe lines mapping”¦..

Hopefully someone will point you in the right direction without too much delay.

Best regards,
RAD.
RobinDavies
SPREADAssociates
Dear Doug,

I have not any first hand association with the tagging of tubulars but certainly think it is long overdue after "One small step for man...."

I assume you are aware of:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080249747
Lawrence A. Denny Edward E. Patterson
First filed 2006

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5202680.html
Savage, George M. First Filed 1991

What is the response to the major corporations from the steel mills to the concept /procedure as it is surely mutually beneficial?

I will ask a few materials/logistics people that I know and revert if they have been involved.

Best regards,
RAD
Posted by

Doug Hodson

Drilling Engineer

Chevron Corporation

Total Posts: 25
Jump to top of the page