Private Forums
BOP Test Pressure Policy
10 June 2017

We are seeking to optimize BOP test times by simultaneously testing the choke manifold at surface and the BOP downhole within the same test.  An issue that we face is that for some tests, the Maximum Anticipated Pressure at surface plus the hydrostatic of the fluid in the choke lines exceeds  15,000 psi INTERNAL pressure downhole (rated working pressure of the BOP).  While the hydrostatic pressure of seawater at the seabed reduces the NET pressure on the BOP to well below 15,000 psi, some have expressed concern about exceeding the INTERNAL working pressure on the BOP (i.e. could there be chambers within the BOP that are exposed to internal pressure that do not gain the benefit of the hydrostatic back up?).  

I was wondering how does other operators approach this issue – do you or would you limit pressures to maximum rated INTERNAL pressure on the BOP or are would you allow your pressure limits to be based upon the NET loading of the BOP (internal – external pressure)?

2 answer(s)
[email protected]
Training/Project Manager
SUBC Engineering Ltd
Total Posts: 11
BOP Pressure Testing - Optimization

Some years ago, a proprietary OEM of BOPs published the results of negative pressure tests on their BOPs operating in extreme water depths (10 000 - 12 000 feet).  The technical investigation considered all stack components that would be subjected to external pressure. Overall, the results showed that there were no internal voids that would be damaged by the high external pressure acting. (hydrostatic seawater pressure)  Here, we are discussing differential pressure across the BOP bodies and outlets (& auxiliary lines).  Although you are considering the hydrostatic pressure being added to test pressures from the hydrostatic head of the test medium (presumably seawater), the head within the choke line is no different to the external seawater hydrostatic head.... so no concern there.

My concern regarding your proposed common pressure testing of both the C/K manifold and the stack simultaneously is that in the event of a detected leak on a particular test, your subsequent search for the leak source could well offset the time savings you may achieve in such a testing regime.  In this scenario, there are an awful lot of possible leak paths presented to the test boundary.

I'd not do it but maybe concentrate in simultaneous operations: rig crew testing the C/K manifold whilst the main test activities are the wellbore pressure tests of the subsea BOP with the cement unit.
[email protected]
D&C Project Coordinator / Decommissioning
Society of Petroleum Engineers
Total Posts: 8
My thoughts would be you should not be pressure testing any device beyond 75% of its pressure rating.  If you need a 15,000 psi WP then go to a 20,000 psi WP device for example.  Most devices will have a capability greater then their rated working pressure but you don't want to be fatiguing equipment when testing it.  I attach a well control manual
Documents uploaded by user:
00 Chapter 10 - Well Control Management.doc
Jump to top of the page