Private Forums
Casing specifications
16 October 2009
Hi.

Is there a free document/paper that describes the different grades of tubing and casing (J-55, L-80, P-110, etc.).

I am interested in metallurgy, yield/ultimate stress, strain at fracture, hardness.

"API SPEC 5CT" appears to be the standard but is this info freely available somewhere?

Mike Fraser
Performance Mgr c/o Relentless Pursuit of Perfection Ltd
3 answer(s)
Alaric
Petroleum Engineer
EurOil
Total Posts: 3
Also I think the red book can help you if you will mind having it write to me at this email its free [email protected]
Thanks

Nkwentamo Alaric
Petroleum Engineer
EurOil
stevedev
Drilling Consultant
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 36
Hi Mike

Yes there is. If you're registered at www.drillers.com you can go to the online Drilling Manual via the Oracles page. In the manual menu, click the book icon for chapter 7 Casing, then Engineering, then Casing Design then Casing Grade Selection.

Also on the Oracles page is an online Mathcad worksheet. This calculates all the figures in tables 1 and 4 of API 5C2 and also calculates for internal pressure, temperature, design factor. See the two worksheets for API Casing Strengths, top of the list.

Cheers, Steve.
wopgal
Drilling & Completions Adviser
Woodside Petroleum Ltd
Total Posts: 2
API Spec 5CT (ISO 11960) would be the best general reference. OCTG Performance properties are tabled in API Bull 5C2.
However, normally the mills will manufacture their OCTG to a specific in-house Manufacturing and Inspection Plan that may give more specific detail on metalergy of the particular steel grade they issue.
For a general high level overview, the major casing mills publish some good general catalogue data - normally the mills are very happy to supply such information.
Regards

Grant Lintern
Drilling Engr
Woodside
Jump to top of the page