Canadian PBL tool (Paul B. Lee) is widely used.
PBL Drilling Tools Ltd's Paul B. Lee, Canada Ph (403) 264 3903 Fax 233 2506 Mobile (403) 551 7425
It started in Canada under the auspices of CFER - Canadian Frontier Energy Research - as a JIP.
Agip/Congo - thru Weatherford; Gufco/Egypt and Statoil/DK were the first users of either the Annular Control Tool (ACT) or of the Hydro-Mechanical Casing Circulating Device.
The PBL tool - if not properly maintained - lacks reliability: leaking, failing to open, failing to close. I wonder if that plus lack of understanding of the tool are the root cause of problems reported
PBL/Cansco UK introduced improvements 1996
+ Boronization + Tungsten Coating for extra erosion/corrosion resistance
+ Steering Stabiliser
+ weight set tools (Pump Pressure Differential)
+ the use of PBL subs was common for allowing displacements, cleanups etc, as it allowed much faster flowrates by bypassing the turbine/MWD.
+ To avoid hole problems, the circ sub was never used until back at the casing shoe.
+ The PBL tool was used for cleaning up the build sections of its horizontal wells.
- When pipe is not clean after a cement job - cement residue is present in the pipe, PBL sub can give problems.
- When using the PBL sub be aware that the operating balls can overtake one each other in the 5" and 5 1/2" drillpipe.
- In horizontal holes high-vis sweeps might be required to move the balls over the internal upsets in the drillpipe.
- no square shoulders tolerated inside the string; taper maximum angle around 60 degrees
1. Eastman Circulating Sub - the first sliding sleeve, ball operated to allow displacing LCM without plugging the mud motors.
This valve was made redundant because of failures. The idea of this valve was to pull a dry string. Unfortunately this valve was sometimes stuck open and the string had to be pulled.
It will give you better triptank volume control in HPHT drilling when the gel strength of the mud is not too high.
2. SPS' circulating subs:
3. Smith/RED BARON Multi Circulation Bypass Valve (3 cycles) CAU/S712
4. Weatherford/Enterra (will have some thing
5. UWG FACT(Flow Actuated Circulating Tool)
6. DSI - Drilling Sysems International introduces the Booster Bypass System reliable tool for increasing BHA circulating area "by simply cycling the pumps".
7. Smith Red Baron
8. Churchill Instant Bypass Tool (IBT)
Churchill Drilling Tools. [email protected]
9. SPS Centurion Circulating Valve with Wireline Access-Type Ball Catcher
Derek [email protected]
10. Hamdeen Steelhead variation to their Steelhead Downhole Drilling Circulation Valve.
Rory [email protected]
11. Drilling Systems International Multiple Activation Bypass System
12. Optiflo(tm) Annular Booster Valve
Smith Services in Houston
13. Andergauge Circulating Sub
14. Never heard of MI Well Commander (http://wellcommander.com/),
Augusto Carmona da Mota