Private Forums
Coiled Tubing Drilling surface setup
08 November 2019
Dear All,

I'm looking for a good guide and recommendations about Coiled Tubing Drilling for milling out cement plugs and composite bridge plugs in 4.5" Liner through existing 4.5" completion string (set in 9-5/8" casing).

Since EMW is around 17.8ppg (P=5320psi) and there are open perforations between the plugs, I need a good surface setup to separate returns (brine, oil, gas) at the surface (we will use water or 1.05ppg brine during drilling).

Regards,

3 answer(s)
snas
Well Engineering Consultant and Instructor
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 41
Ilker

You are underbalanced drilling. You will need to ensure that reservoir fluids and flow volumes can be handled at surface A 0.455 psi/ft brine in a 0.925psi/ft formation pressure is a very large drawdown which could mean a very large reservoir inflow.

Recommend that you do some hydraulics modeling to understand bottom hole and surface pressures and then size the separation spread accordingly, Make sure that you understand how to retrieve the BHA to surface with potentially large surface pressures using strippers and BOP.

The gas and oil will also change drag characteristics of the coil so you will also need to make sure that you have overpull and weight available to pull out and run in the hole.
GordonDuncan
Technical Director / Trainer
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 10
Ilker,
Send me a little bit more info such as
size of CT
Size of Motor
Type of bit
We followed same type scenario in CBM wells in QLD, and as we were limited to pump rates of 1.25bbl per min we had to be very careful not to load up the annulus with solids.
Suggestion without knowing all the facts is to drill have the plug and pump a HiVis sweep and not take any more bites until all solids returned to surface.
In terms of separation at surface i suggest using a regular well test spread and burner boom/pit with the focus on saving your brine as opposed to anything else.

GD

Notes from moderator (Dave): 

Whilst I'm often happy to connect individuals directly, I tend to only do so when either the subsequent 'private' discussion is likely not to be of interest/value to the rest of the forum, or it might ultimately lead to fee-paying work for the person providing the answers.

In this case, lets' see what Ilker comes back to the forum with first.

admin
Managing Director (rp-squared.com)
Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection Ltd.
Total Posts: 468
Dear members

As part of our drive to encourage members to contribute, I will occasionally be digging through unanswered questions.

Getting answers to your questions motivates you to submit more, as we are seeing with a few of our members.

As always, those of you who may feel uncomfortable about submitting 'using your name and company' can email your content to me and I will submit under my name.

• When compiling input, you can use the Preview feature (next to the Submit button) to see what your input looks like.
  • Once you press 'Submit' , your input goes onto the site and goes out with the next alert (every midnight GMT).
  • We will be adding the feature to edit/delete your own input, but delete will not be possible once a 'response' has been linked to it.
As always, I can be contacted on dave@rp-squared.com

Right, please looks at Ilker's question and see if you can help him.
  •   If you can't, but know someone who can, then  look closely and you'll see a Share feature (Twitter or email). 
  • Click on that and you can forward to a friend.
Thankyou

Dave
Jump to top of the page