Private Forums
Torque and Drag Fundamentals
20 July 2020
Hello everyone!
I am planning to dig into Torque and Drag fundamentals, and i would like to understand this subject in more details. Can anyone suggest a workflow model on how usually Drilling Engineers handle this part, i assume that we should check T&D for planned BHA and also for running casing/liners. do you have a kind of step by step program or model that makes this process easier to understand. Appreciate for your responses.
Regards, Tom
6 answer(s)
Drilling
Student U of CALGARY
Students
Total Posts: 4
Hello Windy,
Appreciate your help on this, thanks a lot!
regards, Tom
windy martdianzah
Drilling & Workover Engineer
Pertamina
Total Posts: 3
Hi tom, 

find you a good explanation for soft string vs stiff string model 

Hope it helps 
Documents uploaded by user:
Soft-Versus-Stiff-String.pdf
Drilling
Student U of CALGARY
Students
Hello Windy,
Thanks for the guidance! Unfortunately i dont have access to Wellplan. By the way, when do we use soft string or stiff strong model? is there particular preference?
Regards, Tom
windy martdianzah
Drilling & Workover Engineer
Pertamina
Total Posts: 3

Hi Tom,

Yes for every single run BHA, Casing/Liner run, Completion run or any run you can check the T&D

If you can access wellplan landmark, it will provide you the workflow and input from wellpath, string configuration c/w MU tq, grade, material properties etc, Drilling parameter rotating on/off bottom RPM, WOB, friction factor casing - open hole, fluid properties in hole, model to be used stiff/ soft string.

The result will displayed the roadmap plot that can be used as guidance while drilling and string analysis if failure is occurred. It will be a tedious and long effort if not using a software as many things are considered and affected.

I have seen some paper talking about Artificial Intelligence approach as one method to predict T&D, Bit wear etc with bunch of data as input and let the machine do the equation.

Drilling
Student U of CALGARY
Students
Thanks for valuable material, appreciate it!
regards, Tom
Alsuhail
Rig_site Engineer
IDC
Total Posts: 15
hi Tom,
please check  the attached file . i just googled and hope you will find it helpful. you can also check SPE-27491-PA.
regards
Documents uploaded by user:
UCalgary_2013_Fazaelizadeh_Mohammad.pdf
Jump to top of the page