Private Forums
Dope for 9-5/8" (BTC) casing for gas tight application - Any experiences?
28 September 2009
Gentlemen,

I am currently investigating possible options for the use of pipe dope in achieving gas tight seals on 9-5/8" casing strings with BTC connections to be used on gas-lifted wells. BTC connectors as we are aware, do not possess the requisite metal-to-metal seal to achieve gas tight connections but I would like to know if there is any experience on this forum as regards the use of BTC casing connectors in gas tight applications.
Your responses would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ade Solarin
Drilling Engr.
DeepWater Team, Addax Petroleum, Lagos, Nigeria
9 answer(s)
AndyPua
Drilling Consultant
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 68
It is not worth the savings or any other reason to run buttress casing if it will be exposed to gas. 
As Scott mentioned, we had quite a number of wells on several platforms with gas in the Annulus and had to be bleed off frequently. And only one wing valve at the wellhead section !! 
PaulHowlett
CEO
Sudelac
Total Posts: 115
If due to circumstances you were compelled to use an existing BTC casing string in the presence of gas I would remove the existing couplings, 100% degrease and clean and reapply them with a high quality thread locking compound, then I would design and machine some high quality metal Seal rings to place between the BTC pin ends, then ensuring the pin end is 100% grease free and clean I would make it up, again with a high quality thread locking compound. Of course I would have done some workshop trials of this process with a torque turn machine in advance to prove it up. 
ahansda
RETIRED
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 9
A simple and straightforward advice is 9 5/8" BTC  casing is not at all recommended in gas wells. Always remember the life of a well is 20-25 years, so proven and tested procedure should be adopted. Even GB tubulars can be used only in intermediate casings like 13 3/8" or 16", but not for production casings. 
Scott_McNeil
Consultant
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 161
Hi Dave,

They aren't and nope, I wouldn't!

There are/were many wells in the SNS with annulus pressure due to using BTC connections on the final string of casing.

All the best!

Scott
admin
Managing Director (rp-squared.com)
Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection Ltd.
Total Posts: 479
Hey folks

Reviving another thread.  Buttress connections.

I've seen a few well designs where the intermediate and production casing have BTC connections.  I was under the impression that they're not intrinsically gas-tight.

Would you design a well that would likely encounter a gas zone and drill the target interval with BTC connections exposed?

Kind regards

Dave
JDDrouin
Project Quality
Myspread Users
Total Posts: 109
Abe - the short answer is: gas-tight sealability is not possible with thread dope because BTC is not a full-inteference thread, nor does it have a seal shoulder or other full contact seal characteristic.

So, you can use a thread locking conmpound, or install a ring groove, or some other option, all of which have pluses and minuses. Or just go with a gas-tight connection.

James Drouin
Shell
Adebowale
Drilling Support Superintendent
Maersk Drilling
Total Posts: 11
Gentlemen,
Thanks very much for the suggestions.
I will definitely look into them.
simon.hough
Snr. drilling Engineer
Chevron Corporation
Total Posts: 5
Ade,

You should contact Apache in the North Sea as the Forties Field was developed with gas lift and buttress casing. They would have extensive knowledge of any problems encountered over the last 30 years.

Regards
CraigCastille
Drilling Mgr
ENI
Total Posts: 10
Hi,

I know of two possible solutions.

1. Texas Aria and GB Tubulars can offer a modified BTC with a seal ring in the coupling.
2. Alternatively you can look at Seal-Lube (from Hunting) which will give a gas tight seal but you have to put it on the coupling end prior to coupling makeup.

Best wishes
Craig Castille,
Well Ops Mgr, ENI Brazil
Jump to top of the page