Open-Hole Sidetrack (16" Hole)

Hi All,

Any ”œrecord” / examples of of successful OH sidetracks in 16” Hole (in UER/Simsima - relatively soft Arabian Gulf / ME carbonates +/- 5-10 KSI) ? Our well inclination is 48 Deg

I know we´ve done a few elsewhere; Qatar, Bahrain, and Oman, just can´t recall which ones were 16”, and the specifics on the inclinations - and if it was Bahrain is would have been shallow / softer!

So what´s the latest Best Practice (low side, left, with a TCI/PDM 1.8 Bend) ?

I for one still like:

·         Orient the motor to 180 deg TF (lowside) and work the motor for 45 min (create trough, min 10ft - ensure there is 21ft left on the single for the next steps - DO NOT pick up off bottom between each of the below steps!).

·         Time drill 3' @ 20 min/ft (1" per 1.5 min) @ 180deg TF (low side) - (3´ total)

·         Time drill 3' @ 20 min/ft (1" per 1.5 min) @ -140 to -160 deg TF - (6´ total)

·         Time drill 3' @ 20 min/ft (1" per 1.5 min) @ -120 to -140 deg TF (9' total)

·         Time drill 3' @ 20 min/ft (1" per 1.5 min) @ -90 to -120 deg TF (12' Total)

·         Time drill 3' with 50 psi differential pressure @ -90 deg TF (15' Total)

·         Time drill 3' with 50 psi differential pressure @ -80 deg TF (18' Total)

·         Time drill 3' with 50 psi differential pressure @ -70 deg TF (21' Total)

·         Time drill with 75 differential @ 60-70 TF till there are good indications we are sidetracked (good WOB & Diff)

DO NOT pick up off bottom between each of the above steps

Don't rush & jump the ledge - the main goal is to get sidetracked. 

Cheers

Sean

5 Answer(s)

Support Spread

We need the support of our members to keep our forum online. If you find the information on spread useful please consider a donation

donate