Private Forums
Stabilising formation with silicate mud
02 August 2017
Hello Spreaders.  I have an interesting stuck pipe issue which has defied full identification of the root causes.  One of the possible causes is a weakly cemented sandstone with hard, possibly naturally fractured, siltstone streaks.  Weak formation gets washed out (past full scale on caliper), chunks of siltstone fall in and get us mechanically stuck.

I thought a viable approach would be to run a silicate mud system to consolidate the sandstone (so it doesn't wash out and siltstone doesn't fall in) and possibly also fill fractures in the siltstone with precipitates.

Does anyone have any relevant experience or ideas?

Thanks Steve.
1 answer(s)
Ahamid1977
Senior drilling and completion Engineer
SPREADAssociates
Total Posts: 1
Dear Steve The silicate mud works on the shale and little bit on the fine clay mineral present in the sand bodies pore throats. Later we discovered damaged sand reservoir due to the formation of precipitations of silicate within the pore throats. My recommendation is to check the clay content within the sand, if you have a quantity that can react with silicate, your idea can be valid. But if the sand is very clear, there will be much value of using silicate to perform the process. A core can be helpful to check this effect in the lab.
Posted by

Steve Devereux

Drilling Consultant

SPREADAssociates

Total Posts: 34
Jump to top of the page