Private Forums
Tubing recovery by vessel crane
11 September 2020

Has anyone in the community fished and recovered severed tubing open water from a vessel using its Active Heave Compensated crane wire.  (Or slickline or E-line)

The top of the fish would be in good condition and mechanically severed by E-line across the tube.  The 5-1/2" tubing itself would be up to 600m long, with the water depth similar to that.  The TOF should be just below the wellhead and will have a control line for the SSSV associated with it.

We're interested in the success or otherwise of the operation and what tooling was used, eg: overshot, spear, etc.

The intention is to have pulled the tubing hanger with the tree.

Thanx

4 answer(s)
Well_Designed
Project Manager
Well Designed LLC
Total Posts: 6
Hi Pete,
Sounds like a fun project.  When I was with Oceaneering they did some similar work in the North Sea around 2018.  We were looking to leverage some of that experience for some work in Asia that never panned out.
Evaluate running bumper jars to give you some compensation.  Depending on metocean conditions this may or may not work for you and widen your choices of intervention vessels.  Check with the Oceaneering folks in Aberdeen...they may be able to help you out as well.  

Dirk
Pete Thomson
Decommissioning Manager
Baker Hughes
Total Posts: 16

Thanx, Gordon and Alex for responding.  We’re well aware of the weights here, and I had mentioned slick-line and E-line merely to see if anyone had experience of the methodology.  Certainly agree that a spear looks to be best candidate but we’re still interested in more information from the community for the spear assembly and techniques used. 

Elevators could be good insurance policy if we are able to pull the fish up from the wellhead.

This horizontal tree only has a concentric production bore.  The well would have been re-entered through a Baker Hughes RLIW stack, slickline drift run to HUD, HOS set over the SSSV, and a series of varied cement barriers set with assistance of punches and tubing plugs.  The tubing would be severed at 600m BSB (prefer this to be shallower) by E-line mechanical cutter and again just below the hanger which unfortunately means it is still below the wellhead datum so has to be fished.

You're correct about tubing recovery and this is a major player in RLWI vessel selection in terms of moonpool and deck space.

Supersupt.
Drilling/Completion/Abandonment Superintendent
Drilling Consultant
Total Posts: 8
I have heard but not done it - run elevators on your crane wire if the wire is rated and use the ROV to close them. Need to think about the scenario of the tubing being stuck and how to get out of that one.
GordonDuncan
Technical Director / Trainer
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 12
Pete,
you can discount both slickline and probably even braided line as the weight of the tubing alone, ignoring buoyancy, assuming 17lb/ft 5 1/2" tubing is 33,500. (typical 5 1/2" TRSV usually weighs around 800lbs as an assembly) If the flapper is still in good condition you will also possibly have a column of seawater above the flapper adding a further possible 18,000 lbs.
I would suggest an internal spear using the crane as getting an overshot to engage where there are control lines are extremely troublesome.
My further questions would be, how do you propose to break down the fish when you get it to surface and if course i am assuming there are two verified tested barriers between reservoir and where the cut has been made (including casing annuli)

is this a typical dual bore subsea tree as how do you propose recovering the short string, ?? with the tubing hanger possibly.

Sorry to add confusion but with limited info gave you the best options.

Gordon

Jump to top of the page