Private Forums
New RSC Break In
06 January 2020
All,

What is your current rig practice(s) on breaking in brand new API drill pipe Rotary Shouldered Connections?

Thanks,

James
4 answer(s)
Augusto
Consultant [retired Shell staff]
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 262

All, 

Everybody seems to agree with the pre-break in of Drill Collar and Tool Joint threads.

As this must be done in a vertical position, not all suppliers and Service Companies have facilities to do that (derrick and/or well. Because of that, some Drilling Contractors are forced to do it on the rig, which is very time consuming. 

The initial make up should be made with generous lubrication and the threads walked in with due care. See IADC/SPE 19961 paper above. This to remove eventual wrinkles on forged/rolled threads.

I hope that helps

Augusto

Giraffe
Consultant Drilling Engineer
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 1
Dave, in response to your questions:
  • I hear a lot of teams are paying for this to be done in a yard, off-the-critical-path.
- I think its mostly the pipe manufacturer that does it these days... (All the major manufacturers - NOV GP, DPM, etc. do it, usually as standard)
  • Is anyone getting the manufacturer to do this?
- As above
  • Why do we need to do it?
- It work-hardens the threads & rotary shoulder under a controlled environment (I.E. not downhole under load).  This helps prevent future galling, and can prevent initation of fatigue cracks which can result in washout, etc.
  • Who records that it has been done?
- If its done by the manufacturer, they'll put a certificate of make & break in the drill pipe doc pack.  I guess if its been done by the contractor/rig crew, they *should* record the fact somewhere alongside the pipe's inspection/repair history. 
umairbaig
Senior Drilling Engineer
Pakistan Petroleum Ltd
Total Posts: 29
Hi James,

We usually tell the rig contractor to get it done at the yard but in case we get it on rig site the procedure is to make and break the connections thrice on site.
admin
Managing Director (rp-squared.com)
Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection Ltd.
Total Posts: 446

Hi James

For my part:

• I hear a lot of teams are paying for this to be done in a yard, off-the-critical-path.
  • Is anyone getting the manufacturer to do this?
  • Why do we need to do it?
  • Who records that it has been done?
Cheers

Dave
Jump to top of the page