Private Forums
Lubricate and Bleed method to remedy of sustained annular pressure
15 February 2020
hello members

i would like to ask you if anyone has performed Lubricate and Bleed method to remedy of sustained annular pressure by using Calcium Bromide ,

6 answer(s)
ali.mohiuddin
Drilling Engineer
Pakistan Petroleum Ltd
Total Posts: 1
I am interested in hearing more about the way different operators are dealing with the challenge of sustained casing pressure. We have this problem in Northern Pakistan due to the presence of tectonically charged high-pressure water zones. We usually have cementing issues due to poor mud-removal considering the mud weights in these sections tend to go up to 16 ppg (dispersive system). We have had some success with pumping resins to plug these channels, however, the resin sometimes tends to disintegrate over time and the pressure is back again. Resin is a relatively expensive solution and there tend to be logistics issues in remote areas as well.

How successful have you guys been with the bleed and lubricate method? What kind of fluid do you use? Does anyone have experience with using Micromax based fluids (good weighting and thin enough to inject) to bleed and lubricate? 
Sonatrach-Man
Drilling Engineer
Sonatrach Petroleum Corporation
Total Posts: 4
hello Bill

i would like very much to have an idea about this systematic method  based on field experience

my email : xxxxxx (Removed by moderator; have connected you both directly)

regards 

Ali
Billabel
President
Abel Engineering
Total Posts: 11
I have perform many pump and bleed in different types of fluid (even oil based mud, WBM, sea water, cesium formates, etc.). Without question the Newtonian (very thin brines, water, etc.) are the easiest to handle. I have a systematic method to do this based on field experience I can share if you will send you email to me. My advise is to concentrate the method and understanding that and then choose the fluid that works best for your objective.  But heavy fluids will generally reduce the annular pressure proportionally to the volume of heavy fluids injected. If there is no gas cap you will have a VERY hard time obtaining much success.
Sonatrach-Man
Drilling Engineer
thank you gents

my first recommendation was to use resin technology. however, due to logistique issues we found ourselves with limited solutions 

i would like to add, that we were able to eliminate the annular pressure from 300 psi to 0 psi and stays at 0 psi 
in addition, we have tested the annular space up to 1000 psi for about 40 min 

best regards 
snas
Well Engineering Consultant and Instructor
SPREAD Associates
Total Posts: 38
You really have to analyze the cause of the sustained annular pressure and the origin of the pressure and then with that the likely pressure regime.

Gas will migrate in water based fluids, and lubricating a heavy fluid into an annulus is not a simple process, if there is no height the heavy fluid will not provide any pressure. 

You may want to have a look at resin technologies, as there are resins that can be pumped into the annulus that will drop to the bottom and seal a potential gas zone (if it is at the bottom of the annulus) if the gas zone is higher up in the annulus that can be a challenge.

admin
Managing Director (rp-squared.com)
Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection Ltd.
Total Posts: 462
Hi Ali

I was on the Brent platforms in the UK North Sea about 30 years ago and we were constantly dealing with Sustained Annulus Pressure (SAP).

I don't fully remember exactly what we used, but I'm fairly certain we would have been using CaBr2 brine.  The teams responsible for that were our Wellservices colleagues and I hope that your and my comments might help trigger memories.

I do recall that water-based mud was used also.

The problem with brine is that it has no fluid-loss control and if the formations below the annulus casing are very permeable, then you may end up continuously having to top up the annulus.  Water-based mud would be better perhaps?

Nowadays, there are other options on the market, but I am not familiar with them.

Best wishes

Dave
Posted by

Ali Menad

Drilling Engineer

Jump to top of the page