Private Forums
Real Data about the energy consumption in an offshore oil installation (drilling & accommodation facilities)
01 December 2020
I am currently doing my master thesis in heriot watt university which is about the offshore oil industry and the possibility of the electrification of it with energy supplied from the shore. I would like to find a source to get real data about the energy consumption in an offshore oil rig. Ideally it would be more than one rig.

Thank you very much in advance, 

Stelios
Electrical and computer engineer
4 answer(s)
steliosm77
Energy Analyst
Students
Total Posts: 3
Dear Søren,

As I may see from website of Eni, the Goliath plant is very similar to what I will need to conduct my research and finish my thesis. It contains a production plant, oil storage capacity and accommodation and is powered by onshore energy. Moreover, It would be very helpful if I may contact you for the available Jack-Up data, that I may use from the company that you currently working. 
SorenWeissHartmann
Drilling Instructor and Performance Drilling Superintendent
Drillconsult
Total Posts: 9
Hi Stelios,

Very relevant topic.

I am working for a company that currently has a Jack-Up running on electricity as well as we are monitoring energy consumption very closely to reduce fuel 
consumption.

Also, Eni, who are operating the Goliath field is running on shore power.

Let me know if I can assist you in this matter?

:)

Søren
steliosm77
Energy Analyst
Students
Total Posts: 3
Thanks for the quick reply, 

I am only interested in offshore production platforms. The data i would ideally need is the power consumption split between units of the platform as you mentioned.

I attached a file that may be what the accommodation consumption would be. Similarly, a table like this about the energy consumed in drilling activities.  
Documents uploaded by user:
Untitled.png
jhardy
Completion Engineer
CNR International
Total Posts: 6

Stelios,

Please can you be a little more specific, around what you are looking for, probably stating what you would ideally like, and what the minimum you need.

Some of the specifics you might want to include are things like.

1. Are you interested in production platforms, or Mobile drilling units, accommodation vessels or all three?

2. How would you like you data, just an average for the year, a daily average, or as much resolution as possible.

3. Do you need the power consumption split between units i.e. drilling, process, accommodation, etc. If so which ones.

I am not sure exactly what is recorded, and would be available, but the more specific you are the easier it is for people to try and gather some data for you.

Jump to top of the page