National (Universal) Colour Code for Lifting Equipment

Dear members

This is a topic that has been bugging me for some time now.

At nearly every Workshop that we facilitate (almost 600 now!), someone asks about the lifting equipment colour code.

(Yes, I know that it needs to be changed on a regular basis and I'm NOT asking about the frequency, I'm talking about standardisation)

Nearly all professional clients publish a Logistics Booklet / Joining Instructions that contain these details.

I am constantly surprised to learn that equipment passing through a shore base often has a different colour than that in use on the rig!

As our internal Human Factors coach tells me, this is a recipe for confusion. 

At a recent event we learnt that one of the Shorebase colours (white) is the colour that the rig use to quarantine failed or out-of-certification items!

In the back of my mind, I recall that several countries apply a universal colour code that lasts until changes (every 3,4 or 6 months).  That makes a lot of sense to me!

So, I'm conducting a bit of a poll.

Questions:

1. Which countries do apply this standard couloir code across the entire nation?
  2. What disadvantages do members experience and/or imagine from applying such a universal approach?

Thanks and kind regards

Dave

3 Answer(s)

Support Spread

We need the support of our members to keep our forum online. If you find the information on spread useful please consider a donation

donate