Casing Setting Depth Selection

Hi colleagues and friends,

Do you use LOT or FBP (Formation Breakdown Pressure) for casing setting depth selection?

I'm working as a SDE in a small Middle East company, which is actually joint venture between several worldwide partners. And that's a problem.

Today during discussion with our partners on preliminary casing design we found out that we use different approaches to select casing setting depth. What I mean is: I've prepared casing design based on actual LOT data from offset wells, but our partner says this is overdesigned and we need to use FBP which allows to eliminate one casing. Please note: we never performed XLOT, hence our FBP is calculated value from geomechanics.

Shell's Well Engineering Manual states: for the purpose of Casing Setting Depth either Limit or Leak off Pressure should be used. If the FBP is known, it can be used, however if this pressure is exceeded, the risk of internal blowout is greater.

Does anyone have an experience of using FBP for casing setting depth selection? Is it worth it?

0 Answer(s)

Support Spread

We need the support of our members to keep our forum online. If you find the information on spread useful please consider a donation

donate