NPT and (K)ILT coding, definitions and guidance

Dear colleagues,

I'm sure that you all grapple with the need to identify 'Removable time' in your operations, so you can fix it. Most of the industry reports Non-Productive Time (NPT) and some groups also look at Invisible Lost Time or ILT (see attached for explanation), with the latter drawing upon classical Technical Limit thinking.

A while ago, some companies started looking more closely at ILT, where it was possible to be quite specific and derive a number for the ILT; so it got called KILT (Known Invisible List Time) .. perhaps things like limping out of the hole with a faulty Iron-Roughneck or a case where it was obvious the wrong bit had been used but somehow it seemed 'not quite right' to call it NPT.  It might also be possible to say that we'd taken longer to do a standard, repetitive activity than we had before (e.g. N/U BOP) and so we could see that there was a potential to investigate how to repeat that earlier (better) performance; learning from those who were doing it better.  Maybe it was a competence gap that could be closed with better procedures, equipment, planning or whatever.

Anyway, before I ramble on too much longer...

We'd like to know if any of you, in companies big or small, can share:

• Your NPT and (K)ILT definitions
  • How you handle "nested NPT" (NPT that occurs within an ongoing event; Example:  misfire of back-off charge during stuck-pipe incident)
  • Your reporting frequency (do you round times in your DDOR to the nearest 30 minutes, 15 minutes, 5 minutes)
  • If/how you capture NPT/(K)ILT automatically with rig sensors
  • How you avoid open-and-honest reporting of NPT and (K)ILT from back-firing on those who openly report

And finally, I'd like to wish you all, your loved ones and families a great festive season and all the best for 2016.

Dave

Documents uploaded by user:

NPT and ILT definitions.pdf

9 Answer(s)

Support Spread

We need the support of our members to keep our forum online. If you find the information on spread useful please consider a donation

donate